Lump Sum Impairment & Weekly Payment Claims

WorkCover Advice Queensland – Weekly Compensation and Lump Sum Payments

If you have been hurt in the course of work you may be entitled to workers compensation; or WorkCover. These payments can cover your medical costs, loss of earnings and even compensate you for your pain and suffering.

If you are suffering from physical harm, a psychiatric condition, or permanent impairment from a workplace accident, you can contact us for advice. We will put your claim on the right path and determine if you should accept a lump sum payment or weekly compensation.

Weekly Compensation

Has a workplace accident forced you to take time off work or work reduced hours? If so, you may be eligible for weekly compensation payments to assist you for your financial losses.

The level of weekly compensation payments you may be eligible for will depend on:

  • The amount of time you have been deemed unfit for work
  • When the incident occurred and how long your claim takes
  • Whether any existing industrial agreements – e.g. workplace agreements – impact on compensation

If you are eligible for payments, they will continue until you can return to work, until you reach your maximum payable amount, or for a period of 5 years. Payments will also stop if you receive a lump sum offer.

Lump Sum Compensation

You may be eligible for a one off compensation payment if you have suffered permanent impairment following a workplace accident. A lump sum payment is designed to compensate you for the loss of efficient use of a body party, or the loss of that body part completely.

You can be assessed for permanent impairment when:

  • Your condition becomes stable and stationary
  • Further treatment is unlikely to improve your situation

Workers can request that WorkCover asses their case for permanent impairment, or WorkCover can choose to begin the process themselves.

Making a Claim

Under Queensland’s ‘no-fault’ compensation system, you do not need to prove that employer negligence led to your psychical, psychological or permanent impairment. You simply need to be considered a worker and you must have been hurt in the course of work.

You are typically a worker when you earn a salary or wages and can be dismissed by your employer. This includes permanent and casual staff as well as some contractors and subcontractors. Visit a lawyer to determine your circumstances.

Taking the Next Step

Getting hurt in the course of work may include the results of an accident, but also contracting a disease or the worsening of a pre-existing condition. If this has happened to you, be sure to notify your employer and seek medical attention.

To learn more about making a claim, or to discuss proposed weekly payments or lump sum offers, seek independent legal advice.

In a free initial consultation, Brisbane’s Bartels Lawyers can match you with an expert lawyer who can inform you of your rights and help you to take the next step. Call (07) 3341 2222 to begin the conversation.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does WorkCover take to assess a claim?

WorkCover has 20 days from the application to assess an application. From there, if the case is accepted, we can assist you with claiming compensation and resolving your situation. It is important to begin your claim as soon as possible, which is why we offer a free initial consultation.

What happens if my claim for payment is rejected?

There are pathways you can take – including making an application to the Workers’ Compensation Regulator for a review. We can guide you through the reviews and appeals processes.

What can I claim compensation for?

Your claim might cover out of pocket expenses such as:

  • Medical, hospital and rehabilitative expenses
  • Travelling costs
  • Similar expenses

It can also cover:

  • Compensation for pain and suffering
  • Past and future economic loss

As every case and every injury different, your compensation payments will be unique to your circumstances.