Motor Vehicle Accidents

Motor Vehicle Accident Claims in Queensland

Have you or someone you know been hurt in a motor vehicle accident? Even if you were partially at fault, our team of experts can help you through the process. You may be entitled to compensation through a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) claim.

Whether it was a car accident, a motor cycle accident or even if you were a pedestrian, we can discuss your case with you. Call (07) 3341 2222 to organise a free initial consultation.

What Constitutes a Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Claim?

If you have been hurt in an accident that involved a vehicle you may be able to make a claim. Examples of motor vehicle accidents include:

  • Public transport incidents

What Can I Make a Claim For?

Some different examples where you may be able to make a claim include:

  • You have been hurt in a car accident because of items on the road or faults in the road
  • You are a cyclist who has been involved in a car accident
  • You have been involved in an accident because unsecured cargo has fallen off another drivers car

You may be able to receive compensation for your:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Rehabilitation
  • Loss of earnings
  • Medical expenses
  • Future care

Guiding You Towards Compensation

In order to make motor vehicle accident claims there are a range of important steps you need to take. Some of these are important for building your case while others are steps you should make even if you don’t intend to make the claim. Starting as soon as practical after your accident, you should:

  • Address any immediate medical concerns after the accident – if necessary, call 000
  • Record details of where the accident occurred as well as details of the other drivers and any witnesses
  • Visit your GP to address non-immediate medical concerns
  • Report the incident to the police
  • Keep note of any symptoms that develop

Strict time limits govern accident compensation claims – if you’re ready to act, contact us to further discuss your claim.

Accident Compensation – Common Questions

Explore some of our more frequently asked questions for more information about accident compensation. For tailored information for your compensation case, independent legal advice is recommended.

Who is my claim made against and who will pay my compensation?

In Queensland, motor vehicle accident claims are typically made against the at-fault drivers Compulsory Third Party Insurance. This means the insurance company of the driver – not the driver themselves – pays your compensation.

What are my rights as a passenger?

You don’t need to be the driver of a vehicle to receive compensation for your injuries. Any person injured in the accident due to the fault of another driver or owner is entitled to make a claim – meaning passengers are protected.

How much will my case cost if I proceed?

The costs for motor vehicle accident claims varies because every situation is different, and requires a different amount of work. At Bartels Lawyers, we have a no win no fee policy and offer a free initial consultation, so that everyone has access to legal assistance.

What happens if the other driver is unidentified?

If the driver of the at-fault vehicle is unregistered (and therefore uninsured) or they flee the scene and cannot be identified, you can still lodge a claim through the Nominal Defendant, a statutory body.

How long might the process take?

Each claim varies in length depending on the severity of the injuries, disagreements about fault, and other complicating factors.