Bicycle Accidents

Bicycle Accident Claims

Motor vehicle accident compensation claims are not exclusive to drivers or passengers of motor vehicles. If you have been hurt in a road accident as a cyclist, you may also be entitled to compensation under the law.

Just like other motor accident claims, bicycle riders can make a claim against the at-fault driver’s Compulsory Third Party Insurance.

If you want independent legal advice to assist you with your claim, Bartels Lawyers can assist you. In a free initial consultation, we will pair you with a dedicated lawyer who will assist you with all your questions and the compensation process.

What Are Bike Accident Compensation Claims?

Bicycle accident claims can be made by cyclists who have been hurt in accidents involving a motor vehicle of any kind.

You may be compensated for wide range of factors, including but not limited to:

  • Your pain and suffering
  • Loss of earnings
  •  Medical and rehabilitative expenses

Can I Make a Claim?

If you have been hurt in an accident with a motor vehicle – be it a car, truck, motorcycle or other vehicle – you are entitled to make a compensation claim. This includes on-road collisions but also incidents such as doorings (when a car door opens and hits a cyclist).

As these claims are made against the driver’s CTP insurer, you will need to provide fault (or partial fault) on the driver’s part.

What to do Next

Starting after your accident and going into the days and weeks afterwards, it is important to take a range of crucial steps. These steps are the first in a process that can protect you both medically and legally.

1. Be sure to seek medical attention in the immediate aftermath of the incident – contact emergency services if necessary or see your GP whenever practical.

2. At the scene, record some details about the driver, including their vehicle registration. Also ask to see their licence.

3. Report the incident to the police as soon as possible – this may not be necessary if they have attended your scene, but it is always best to report the incident if you are unsure.

4. If you want to make a claim, or want to learn more about your rights, seek independent legal advice.

For further information and a free, initial consultation, call us on (07) 3341 2222 or visit our offices in Logan City.