Car Accidents

Have You Been Hurt in a Car Accident?

If you have been involved in a car accident the first thing to do is look after yourself and other involved. Seek immediate medical assistance in emergency situations and always see your GP as soon as practical.

If you were hurt in your accident and want to seek compensation, you may be eligible to make a CTP claim. Bartels Lawyers can provide you with an experienced car accident lawyer who can work with you throughout the whole compensation process.

Understanding CTP Car Accident Claims

In Queensland, all registered vehicles must have Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. When you are hurt in an accident, you can make a claim against the CTP insurer of the at-fault vehicle. Even when the accident involves an unregistered – and therefore uninsured – vehicle you can still make a claim, expect this will be made against the government insurer.

Am I Eligible to Make a Claim?

Have you been hurt in a car accident that you were not at fault, or only partially at fault for causing? If so, you may be able to make a claim as:

  •  A driver or passenger
  •  A pedestrian or cyclist

Car Accident Compensation Checklist

There are a number of steps you should take after a car accident – both for your overall safety, and in anticipation of a claim.

Immediately after the incident, have you:

  • Received necessary emergency medical attention?
  • Visited your GP?
  • Reported the incident to the police?

If you want to make a claim, you can:

  • Contact our car accident lawyers by phone or email to organise a free initial consultation
  • Have a face-to-face interview with an experienced lawyer
  • Continue working with the same lawyer – who will advise you, build your case, and act as a touch point throughout the entire process

Answering Your Car Accident Claims Questions

In your free initial consultation, we can begin to answer your questions and provide clarity with tailored and helpful advice. For general information, we have compiled some frequently asked questions and answers.

Should I make a claim if a relative or friend was the driver of the at-fault vehicle?

Your compensation claim will be made against the insurer of the vehicle, not the at-fault driver themselves, meaning a less complicated process if your friends or family were responsible for the accident.

What time limits apply to car accident claims?

All CTP insurance claims are governed by strict time limits. This limit is typically 3 years from the date of the accident, but different circumstances can alter this limit. We recommend seeking independent legal advice as soon as possible, to explore your options.

Why should I get legal advice?

Making a car accident claim can be a complicated legal process – involving information about compensation law, legal rights and entitlements and much more. Furthermore, these claims can be highly time consuming.

While you can represent yourself in a claim, legal advice is recommend for a faster, less complicated process.

What is a nominal defendant?

The nominal defendant is essentially a government insurer – or the body who can compensate you when a negligent driver is unidentifiable or uninsured. While this body can recover debts owed from negligent drivers, this process does not involve you and will not affect your claim.