Truck Accidents

What to do When You Are Hurt Driving a Truck

If you are a truck driver who has been hurt in a road accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation.

You can apply for compensation against the at-fault driver’s CTP insurance. This compensation can assist you in the management of physical and psychological symptoms, as well as compensating you for lost income or earnings. To discuss your case and determine your eligibility, call Bartels Lawyers for a free initial consultation.

Situations Where You Can Make a Claim

To be eligible for accident compensation following a truck accident in Queensland you must have been:

  • Hurt as a result of the incident – either physically or psychologically
  • A driver or a passenger
  • Not at fault, or only partially at fault for the incident

You can even make a claim when the other party fled the scene, was unidentifiable, or was uninsured.

What to do at the Scene

Compensation claims are subject to strict time limits and evidence is a crucial aspect of successful claims. After you have ensured that everyone is safe and any relevant emergency services have been called, you should:

  • Record the details of where and when the accident happened
  • Talk to any witnesses and get their contact details if possible
  • Record the other driver’s details, including their vehicle registration and license information

What to do After Leaving the Scene

After leaving the scene of an accident, your number one priority should be your ongoing care. If you were hurt in the accident, visit your doctor as soon as possible.

You should also report the incident to the nearest police station. If the police attended the scene of your accident or the other party has reported your incident, this may not be necessary.

Finally, keep note of any other symptoms that may develop and be sure to see a doctor if you have any concerns. The impact of any road accident won’t always be immediate and it’s important to keep track of these symptoms from both a medical and legal standpoint.

Compensation Claims – Completing the Paperwork

If you decide to make a compensation claim, there are a range of forms you will need to lodge, and legal processes you will need to navigate. For advice on proceeding with a claim and assistance with the claims process, contact Bartels Lawyers.

In a free initial consultation you will meet with a lawyer who will work with you from start to finish, simplifying your claim.

Do You Need More Information?

To learn more about truck accident compensation and making a CTP claim, explore our frequently asked questions below.

What time limits apply for this type of claim?

Just like all motor vehicle accident claims in Queensland, truck accident claims are subject to strict time limits, and you usually have 3 years from the date of the accident to commence your claim.

How do I make a CTP claim?

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance is an insurance that every registered Queensland vehicle must be covered by. CTP claims are handled by the at-fault vehicle’s CTP insurer and involves following a range of steps and lodging different forms.

It is recommended that you seek independent legal advice before making your claim. However, some important steps to take are:

1. Obtain the registration information of the at fault vehicle and report the incident to the police

2. Obtain a police accident report reference number

3. Complete a claim form with the assistance of a lawyer, a GP or specialist and other relevant parties

4. Send the form to the CTP insurer with any copies of reports, documents and other evidence that you have gathered

How long will my claim take?

Generally speaking, most motor vehicle accident claims will be resolved within 18 months, though this will depend on the complexity of claim and any disputes by other parties.

Will I need to go to court?

The majority of claims do not involve any court action and with appropriate legal advice, these situations are usually avoided.